Calculation of PSA Doubling Time (PSADT) Post-operatively
The patient must have a PSA of ≥ 0.2 ng/mL and rising at least 6 weeks after prostatectomy.
- First item Rising means a PSA of < 0.2 and a PSA of ≥ 0.2 ng/mL, a PSA of 0.2 and a PSA > 0.2 ng/mL or a PSA > 0.2 and a further PSA increase.
There must be 3 consecutive detectable PSAs spaced by ≥ 2 month intervals.
- The lowest value must be 0.1 ng/mL (detectable) or higher (0.15 by hypersensitive assay may be used)
- Example: < 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 ng/mL (not enough detectable PSAs, need another value spaced at least 2 mo. from last value);
- Example: 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 ng/mL (use all three PSAs);
- Example: 0.1, 0.15, 0.2 ng/mL (this is allowed for PSADT calculation technically, but another PSA is encouraged).
- The calculation of PSADT in the setting of fluctuating PSAs that go back to 0.1 or less should be calculated from the last value of 0.1 or greater.
- Example: 0.2, 0.1, 0.2, 0.1, 0.3, 0.4 ng/mL (use the last 3 PSAs);
- Example: 0.1, 0.2, 0.4, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4 ng/mL (use all PSAs since all are ≥ 0.1 ng/mL).
- Please click on the link Retrieve PSADT value shown below to open excel file and retrieve the results.
- In the Excel file please enter values in yellow box. Required ones that need to be entered in Yellow Box are:
- Dates of PSA Tests in mm/dd/yyyy format
- PSA Values
- Upon entering the values either click tab key or click on CALCULATED RESULTS to view the results.
- Results are displayed in the CALCULATED RESULTS table with "Result Doubling time in Months" highlighted in Red Color.
- Results can be saved on your machine by clicking on "File" and selecting "Save As" on the browser. To just print first page that includes "CALCULATED RESULTS", click on file, select "Print" and check Page(s) and enter 1 for "From and To."
- For printing required portion of the page such as just the CALCULATED RESULTS part:
(1)highlight the region with the mouse. (2)Select Print under File Menu and (3) Under "Print What" section check the "Selection" radio Button.